Porcelain factory and an ancient castle: what is the city of Korets famous for

Porcelain factory and an ancient castle: what is the city of Korets famous for

13 May 2022, 20:00
A source: ©
800
Approximately in 1100, a settlement was founded on the territory of the present Rivne, which became one of the most important cities of Volhynia. The first archaeological finds date back to the Paleolithic era, and the first mention of the city itself is found in chronicles dated 1150 - then it was known as Korchesk. In 1380, these lands were transferred to Prince Fyodor Ostrozhsky, and six years later a castle was built here. At the beginning of the 15th century, the Koretsky princes began to own the settlement, after whom the city received its new name. In the 18th century, industry began to develop rapidly in Koretsk: the production of leather and fabrics was established, and a porcelain factory was built.

Photo ©


Porcelain collectors know about the excellent products that the Korets factory produced for a hundred years - from 1783 to 1832. Frantisek Meser became the first director of the enterprise, who developed his own porcelain recipe based on local raw materials. The craftsmen took the style of Saxon porcelain of the second half of the 18th century as a basis and created beautiful dishes for wealthy buyers. The emblem of the brand was the easily recognizable image of the all-seeing eye, depicted in the center of the triangle. Already 10 years after the opening of the factory, the number of employees reached one thousand. Up to 20 thousand items were produced every month. In 1797, the enterprise was seriously damaged due to a strong fire, part of the production was destroyed. At the beginning of the 19th century, porcelain production resumed, many craftsmen were brought from France to take production to a new level. After 30 years, the factory gradually began to decline, and in 1831 it was closed. Nowadays, Koret porcelain is extremely highly valued by collectors, since it is extremely rare.

Photo ©

Photo ©

Photo ©


Koretsk is also known for its castle ruins, which are attractive to historians and archaeologists. The fortress was built by Prince Ostrozhsky, who ordered the foundation to be laid on the banks of the Korchik River. The main structure was surrounded by a moat on three sides, and a river flowed near the western walls. In this form, the castle stood until the 16th century, then new fortification elements were added. The castle was rebuilt into a palace, which burned down in 1832. After this fire, no one restored the Koretsky castle, despite attempts to restore the fortification complex in the 1920s.

Photo ©

Photo ©
Search for lots
* Select a section
Search section
Search:
Search results in:
Sections
Lot
Buy
Sell